Thursday, September 4, 2014

September 4, 2014

Hola!!

Wow, I feel like so much has happened this week.  First things first, I jinxed myself and threw up the morning after my last email, but don't worry because it was just something I ate.  Then later that night the power went out in our casa, which was quite the adventure.  I was the only one with a flashlight (can you tell we're all super prepared?) so everyone came and hung out in our room until the power came back on.  Haha it was quite the party :)

Sorry if this letter has lots of mistakes in it; Spanish is destroying my life.  I can't speak Spanish fluently, and it's making me forget English, so communication is really a struggle.  The other day I was trying to say something in Spanish and I couldn't remember the word, but then I couldn't remember it in English either.  The struggle is so real.  Also some nights when I'm righting in my journal I'll randomly throw in Spanish words without even realizing it.  And sometimes I'll be talking to someone in English and I'll just accidentally start speaking in Spanish.  Hop on the struggle bus.

Random things that happened this week: I learned to split an apple in half with my bare hands (don't mess with me). I got a case for my Spanish scriptures and it's too legit to quit.  Apparently the CCM likes to randomly go around and do preventative fumigation to the casas, and they chose to fumigate ours the other day, which really complicated life.

Yesterday there was a torrential downpour again and the streets started flooding.  The elders in our district decided they wanted to see how well a paper airplane would fly in the rain, so we had a paper airplane contest and they all actually did surprisingly well.  Then we got the idea to make a gigantic paper airplane and fly it out a window on the third story of a building today.  It was an epic fail because the windows only opened up so you could throw the airplane straight at the ground, but it was fun to do anyway :)

Happy belated Labor Day!!  Unfortunately Mexico isn't as cool as America, so we didn't get to celebrate, but I hope everyone had a good time.  Mexico does however celebrate their Independence Day on the 15th, and I am so incredibly sad I'm going to miss the huge fiesta.  Even the CCM is throwing a fiesta for everyone who is still going to be here.  Even though I'll be missing the fiesta I'll be having a fiesta of my own in Chile!! :)  We got our flight plans the other day and I fly out Monday night at 8:25.  It's an 8 hour flight to Santiago, then I have a 5 hour lay-over, and another 1.5 hour flight to Osorno.  It's going to be a SUPER long day, but I'm so excited! :D

One last thing I'd like to leave you all with is a thought from our devotional on Sunday by Richard G. Scott.  Prayer is a sacred privilege, and he always answers our prayers.  It might not be right away, and we might not always recognize the answer, but he ALWAYS answers us.  Elder Scott said that prayers are answered one of three ways: 1) peace, comfort, assurance 2) unsettling feeling 3) No immediate response - he does this so we can exercise faith and act in faith.  I know that our Heavenly Father listens when we pray and he will answer our prayers when we pray in faith. 

I love you guys so much and I hope everyone is doing well.  Have an awesome week!!

Stay sweet,
Hermana Coombs
Awesome cover for Spanish scriptures


us getting ready for "graduation" 

No comments:

Post a Comment