Monday, September 22, 2014

Punta Arenas -- September 22, 2014

Hola everybody!

Last week was pretty crazy, and I'm happy to report that I eventually made it to Punta Arenas safe and sound.  I'm also happy to report that I didn't lose my passport again :) Haha hopefully that never happens again.

I flew into Punta Arenas on Tuesday and my flight got in around 2:00 in the afternoon.  I picked up my bags, headed out to be picked up by my companion or someone who helps the missionaries, and no one was there!  I was super confused.  I didn't have a cellphone to call anyone.  I tried about a million times to use a phone in the airport (which is super tiny), only to find out that it only makes calls to Punta Arenas, and the only number I knew of was a number in the US.  After all that I just decided to wait hoping that someone would eventually come get me.  About an hour later my companion and another companionship showed up, and they were super funny.  They had just called the mission office to find out when I was flying to Punta Arenas, and the people in the office realized they forgot to tell anyone I was coming.  They hurried over as soon as they found out though and everything ended up being fine :)  Talk about a crazy life.

I absolutely love it here in Punta Arenas!  The coast is super bonita, the people are SO nice, and Hermana Bretón (my companion) rocks my socks.  It's super windy here and I'm pretty sure the thing they call my room is actually a refrigerator, so I'm super super super glad I have that sleeping bag to keep me warm at night.  Also, I'm sad to report that I'm for sure going to get fat, so please don't make fun of me.  I've never eaten so much food before in my life. 

We didn't have a normal missionary day until Saturday because Chile had it's independence day, which is a two day celebration.  America really needs to get with the program and celebrate for more than one day :)  Anyway, the Independence Day celebrations were awesome!  We went to an activity at the church and it was so much fun.  Lots of awesome people, awesome games, and Cueca dancing.  Cueca is a traditional dance in Chile.  Chile is awesome :)

Right now Hermana Bretón and I are teaching two awesome families that want to be baptized!!  They are seriously so awesome.

The spanish is coming along slowly, but it'll take time for my ear to get used to the Chilean spanish.  Everyone talks super fast, and people use words that don't mean anything (example: they say "po" after everything and it means absolutely nothing. "¿Este es su perro? Sí po").  I'm relying on facial expressions a ton haha.  Oh well, with time and practice it'll get better.

Keep being awesome! 

Con amor,
Hermana Coombs

No comments:

Post a Comment